Monday, March 2, 2009

To Facebook or not to Facebook...

So I am contemplating getting a facebook account. I see pros and cons to it and I'm just not that sure what to do. So I am pretty much thinking out loud, hoping for some incite...

PROS:
*More than half my family members have accounts.
*Could find out how people I knew are doing
*I know a lot of people who have accounts that I'm friends with
*It might help me not feel so old cause I'll be "in" with technology.

I can see the plus as it being more open then having a blog (meaning someone can just type a quick, "how are you today" sort of thing. You can't really do that on a blog.) But really I don't know.

CONS:
*My local church leader mentioned not participating in MySpace, so does that go for Facebook as well?
*I could spend A LOT of time updating and such, even just reading other peoples accounts. And *that time could be spent doing better things.
*If I get a Facebook account, will it make it so my family website won't be used anymore? I like the family website. I know you can make Facebook private, but only a little really. It's so people who aren't your friends can't read the things you have on there, but what about the things...

Ok, so, I find a someone I knew in middle school. I like to see how they are doing, but I don't really care about their everyday "So and So is bored out of their mind" sort of comments. But I have them added to my friend list. Well now I want to add a picture so my close friends and family can see. Well then I start getting comments about that picture from people who I had posted as my friend. It's like, they don't really care about that picture, they are just posting a comment to be nice or something, who knows.....

Ok, so I think non of that made any sence to anyone except for my self, but here's the conclusion I have come to regarding Facebook....I won't get an account. I am a member of 3 family websites and I have a blog. So pretty much, if I wan't people to see my pictures, those are the places I will post them. Cause that is where the people who I want to see the pictures are. I don't care if I get "poked" or "voted most outgoing" or given meaningless "gifts" thru Facebook. I have better things to do. But it's hard, cause it all goes back to finding past friends. What if there is someone I knew, that I want to know again? What do I do about that? I guess I just feel out of the loop when it comes to Facebook. It's like EVERYONE has an account except me. Am I missing out on something? Do I even really care if I am? ACH! I just feel so old because I'm not "with it."

BLAH! This didn't help at all! I'm done now.

4 comments:

Shanna said...

So here is my opinion on facebook so you can take into consideration what someone that does have an account think of it. But still your decision. I see no point in facebook. The only thing facebook is good for is finding those long lost friends. But the way I think about it is if they were REALLY your "friend" you would probably still be in contact with them. I am on the opposite end as you in this. I am considering closing my account. The only people that I care about already have invites to my blog or I have some other form of contact with them. Oh and my Bishop had said something about MySpace as well but he kinda put facebook in the category with it. I think other than being really easy to find people, facebook is pointless. And just think, people can find you too. And sometimes its not such a good thing. Oh and I didn't start using my account until Hugh started using his and was having fun finding people from his mission. So there is a little more insight to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Heidi said...

The church supposedly was going to purchase one of those facebook or myspace I can't remember. I don't like face book cause people who aren't even your friends just want to be nosey they don't care about you they just want to see how you look and stuff. Plus probably not good for a marriage cause old boy friends might try to find you not good. You can always so no to being there friend but then they probably think your mean. I am thinking of having a password for my blog cause my sister was saying that someone she knows who they are but isn't friends at all with has here on as a contact on her blog and she always reads Callie's blog but never comments so all she's doing is snooping on my sister it's just weird. That's all facebook seems like to me.

Lana Schow said...

This pretty much sums up our opinion. Craig says "Facebook is poo."

Roemmele Family said...

It do believe it is all about how you use it (if you ask me). I have enjoyed getting reconnected with old friends from all the way back to elementary school through my short college days, from my many wards in UT and my friends from NJ, CT and old work places. I am the type of person that likes to be able to say a quick "Hi" to these people and not feel like I need to pull them into my close circle of friends (via my blog - though some have been invited to my blog after getting reconnected to them).

I can see where FB can be a time stealer (but so can blogs and other computer programs). It is all about the dicipline you put into it. As for the "pokes" and other things...I just ignore them. I don't have the time or energy to reply to all of them and to be bothered with them.

There is my 2 cents. :o)