The before shot
Started with taking off the 'kick skirt'
Step 2-pretty much just worked from the bottom up
This pic is hard to tell, but I was taking off the back-and it had a line of nails holding it on.
A straight line made to curve with a thin piece of cardboard.
Taking off the sides
Popping off the front pieces-harder then it looked.
The front with the piece popped off.
The piece was held on by nails and cardboard.
Half way done
Taking off the arm fabric
I found that the easiest way to take the fabric off was to grab a chuck around a staple and twist
I had to remember to hammer any staples that broke off or any other thing poking out that might snag
The front-under the cushions. This stupid wood was insanely hard to staple. It kept bending my staples.
What are these two strings for? Oh! That's how they made the crease in the front cushions.
See-crease in the front cushions. Made by a string.
Ta Da! A naked couch!
What's in your wallet? I mean couch. (and I'm not talking about under the cushions)
Adding more padding.
Cutting out the new fabric. Lay down old fabric and trace around with white crayon. Sorry I didn't take a lot of pictures of the 'put back together' phase. I didn't have patience to recover AND take pictures
And now...the finished product. After several hours, lots of frustration (because I'm a perfectionist) and 3 sewing machines later. Hayden said to me, "Mom, it looks like you are making a real couch!" So I must have done something right.
3 comments:
Nice job! The couch looks amazing! Do you mind sharing how much the project cost? I am thinking of recovering mine, but worried about the cost of the fabric ha ha
Wow great job
Thanks Cindy and Whitney!
Sorry its taken a while to get back to you Whitney- My mom bought 16 yards of fabric for around $70. We were hoping that the 16 yards was enough to cover the love seat-turns out, it covered the love seat AND the couch. So 2 new couches for $70 isn't bad.
Post a Comment